Thursday, May 4, 2017



Final Analysis: Sunshine in a cloudy day

Denotative:
At first glance you can see a faceless woman with long dress that has different tones of violet. She is holding a bright yellow umbrella and rain is pouring down over the whole scene. The top part of the piece are patterns of lines running down into the central piece. The bottom portion of the woman's dress is more simple and incorporates blue shapes into the dress rather than actual flowers.
The piece is very colorful and in the painted portion one can see the heavy brushstrokes.

Connotative:
This piece can be translated into different meanings and can inspire diverse memories about what might be happening to the woman who is standing in the rain. Personally it reminds me of prom night or a gala and having to stand in the rain while waiting for a cab. It makes me feel upset and annoyed at the fact that she is so beautifully dressed and the rain is ruining all of the effort put into her elegance and beauty. However, the colorfulness brings about a contrasting feeling of joy, excitement, and happiness. These bright and cheery colors are not only used in the dress, but also present in what seems to be red cobblestones and yellow,white, blue, red, and orange patterns falling down like rain. This completely changes the negative, sad, and upsetting connotation of the piece into a more vibrant and jolly one, which can reflect the woman's high spirits and excitement to get to the event.


Ideological:
This image of an elegantly dressed woman standing in the rain can evoke negative feelings, but with the bright and funky patterns I intended to contrast that feeling with happiness and optimism. I used different linear patterns at the top of the piece to reflect rain pouring down, but I purposely did not make it look like rain because I wanted to challenge the idea of rain as an upsetting factor in our memories. Rain should be cheerful and joyous, just like the sunshine does. Through this art piece I not only intended to transform our perception of a bad day, but also inspire people to look for delight and small bits of joy in the worst of days.

This semester has helped me develop my appreciation for art by exposing myself to different artists and using my own creativity to produce art. I learned how to gain appreciation through constructive criticism that is informative and descriptive. I think overall, the course's aims are reached, but something that I do think should be incorporated is the means through which artists become inspired to do their work. I think it is an essential aspect of art and one that could influence students to look for ways in which they too can find inspiration in different ways and use it to their advantage.

No comments:

Post a Comment